Are you worth a monster?




I believe that doing always the same thing and use always the same materials is the best way to eventually get blocked. That’s way I consider part of my personal maintenance wasting time with all sorts of things that are not stones or paper. For the same reason, after months when I’ve been considering cutting out all the ‘extras’ from this blog I just told myself that there is not really such a thing as ‘extra’ for me. Would you like to know how I work and where I get my inspiration from? Well, my uncontrolled playtimes are definitely with good reason part of it.



So, now that we agreed that I have all the rights to keep on posting my random tutorials, let’s talk about it: the creepy cute hugging monster. I made it for someone I really care about, someone who during all these years together gave me crazy dolls and ugly monsters, and a lot of support for my insane artistic activity (I’m not sure that he always understands, but it doesn’t matter to him – and THIS really matters to me). Well, I though he may deserve a monster, but it made me a little nervous to think that he may just possess one of a thousand copies cuddled around the world.

The options in a case like this are only two: buy handmade or make handmade. I was totally freaked out, but I knew that in this particular case I really needed to do it myself. And guess what? I discovered that making a monster is a really simple thing!!!





That’s why I wrote this post: I want to convince you that if someone out there is so special to deserve something you must have put your fantasy, time, and efforts in – well, you can do it. I even made a sketch to show you how easy it is! Let’s look at it together, then you’ll design your own monster and send me some pictures, ok?


Click on the image to make it larger


1. Draw your monster! One leg, one arm, two pieces for the eyes. Draw the main body on a folded paper to make sure that it is symmetrical (if you WANT it to be symmetrical of course). Cut everything out.

2. Place the papers on the fabric (I used an old broken baby blanket) and draw two legs, two arms, and the two sides of the monster. Cut it out, do the same with the felt pieces.

3. Sew arms and legs. Put face to face the external pieces and sew all around, except for the sides touching the main body. Fill up with padding, cotton, rice, cereals, or small pieces of fabric.

4. Hand-sew the small parts. Actually if you’re good enough you can do it with the machine. I am definitely not able to use the sewing machine for such a detailed job, and anyway I really enjoyed adding little by little all the details that were coming up to my mind.

5. Now place face to face the external pieces of the main body, positioning legs and arm like indicated in the picture. Leave a small side open. Turn the monster inside out.

6. It’s cute, isn’t it? Now it’s time to fill it up and close the gap. That’s all folks, really.

…so would you let me know who’s the lucky person who’s going to get your next monster? I’m definitely making some more of them!




More monsters? Have a look at these:


Welcome to the Monster Shop
Goodnight Monsters
Monster Factory
DIY Witch Garden
Some creative DIY idea for Halloween

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,